05 June 2010

Knit 911

There are times when it just doesn't pay to be organized or overly protective of your knitting supplies. In all the craziness of planning a move with the kidoodles, I worry about everything from A to Z. No really, I could make a list from A to Z - but I'll save that for another time. Among my many worries have been concerns about protecting my stash while it is in storage. Sure, some may say that yarn, separated by fiber & sealed in Ziplocs in a Rubbermaid tote is sufficient.

But no. We had to go one step further. My husband is my knight in shining armor. (Although he says he's more of a Shite in Whining Amour.) He is a creative genius with a love for woodworking, power tools & John Wayne movies. He really listens and hears everything you say. When I expressed concerns over storing our "valuables" - valuables defined as family heirlooms, fragile items, clothes to be protected from that stray moth and of course, knitting supplies - he built me a cabinet. This cabinet is like Fort Knox - with the valuables on the inside and all of our other worldly possessions stored on the outside - to prevent it from tipping over - in our storage/moving trailer.

Herein lies the trouble... literally. Of the 2 WIPs in my bag to work on during the "transition", one is missing half of the yarn and the other is missing needles. That's right! They are all safe, sound and secure in the Fort Knox inside my very own 53' storage trailer in the side yard. With no closing date in sight, it may be a very, very long time before they see the light of day again.

So what's a girl to do? It was a true knitting emergency. A Knit 911, if you will. If only I had a project to knit, then maybe that would keep me from snapping at the kidoodles or breaking another night guard stressing about all of those details that are completely beyond my control! Lucky for me, there's an oasis in my neighborhood. The Sheep & Wool Shop is a treasure in the countryside of Western New York. Louise and her adorably furry helpers Panda Bear, Emmy & Sugar, listened so patiently as I explained my tale of woe. We discussed projects, gauge, yarn, needle preferences & even hedgehogs all while my little Princess Kidoodle was dismanteling beautiful displays of beads and dancing for - or was that tormenting - the puppies?! The shelves were lined with incredible fibers - including a whisper soft yarn by Queensland made from corn! (I need some of that!) The shop is a feast for the knitter's soul. We made our selections and left with smiles, renewed enthusiasm for the bumps in our road ahead and a new project in my knitting bag - to keep me sane! Just what the doctor ordered.

Thank you Louise. You're a lifesaver!


2 comments:

  1. You see, that's the difference between you and me. Knitting soothes you. Me? Not so much. Maybe if I get better at it?

    Nice Fort Knox. Tell the hubs I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from corn, that would be great!! by the way, did you see the name of your yarn? ;)
    I hope that till June, you are safe now?

    ReplyDelete